It’s annual enrollment time and like all of you, we’re super busy. Changes keep coming in, new versions are being added and deadlines simply won’t budge.
So what’s a person to do when cocktails aren’t permitted at work and chocolate simply isn’t combating the stress? Here are just a few strategies the WOT team uses to stay calm and cool under pressure.
- Laugh it off. The best antidote to stress is a good belly laugh. It increases the level of oxygen in the blood, decreases blood sugar and even burns up calories. At WOT, we laugh a lot. It really is the best medicine for what ails you.
- Get on the ball. Replace your regular desk chair with a large exercise ball from time to time. It’s a great way to stretch out the back. It’s also a great source for stress relief when that nervous energy builds up. Warning: excessive bouncing is contagious.
- Stretch yourself. Did you know if you sit all day at work you literally take years off your life? Stretch at least every couple of hours and take care of you!
- Take a hike. If you can find a minute or two during this crazy season, get out of the office for a short walk. And once the endorphins kick in, you may even feel like bringing back a treat for your coworkers.
- Take it easy. No one can do everything day in and day out, and we all know our brains simply cannot multitask. So give yourself a break. Tackle one task at a time. And if you need help, ask for it.
- Kick the can. It’s amazing how much stress you can eliminate when you trust the people around you and delegate. I know it can be hard for us control freaks to let go, but this is a great way to get some of those “high” priority to-do’s off your list.
- Clear the clutter. A desk piled high with papers and folders only fuels the fire of your stress. File the clutter away and keep your desk top clear and clean. It’s amazing how much better this one step will make you feel.
- Control time. Put your phone on “do not disturb,” send “Chatty Cathy” on her way and close your door if you need to. All these unnecessary distractions are obstacles between you and your deadlines, making you anxious…and crabby. Your time is valuable, so take control of it before it slips away from you.
- Get silly. One of our favorite stress relievers is Silly Putty. We all have several containers stashed at our desks to stretch and knead away the stress.