We all have our bad days from time to time. But sometimes we find ourselves in a funk and need a little help to find our way back. The good news is there are a number of things you can do to turn a less-than-stellar day into one that rocks. As Martha Washington said, “The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions and not upon our circumstances.”
So with that, here are eight ways to get you funk-free in 15 minutes.
- Take a moment to express gratitude for everything in your life. Gratitude actually improves your health and happiness.
- Practice deep breathing to help clear your mind, reduce stress and reset your mood.
- Create a “funk-free” playlist that can lighten your mood and lift your spirits. Put on some headphones and blast it or sing along to each track.
- Find your happy place. This can mean taking refuge in a storage closet for some quiet time or simply closing your eyes and taking a mental escape to shake off any negative thoughts and feelings.
- Avoid the 4 Cs: comparing, competing, criticizing and complaining. Any of these can cause you to fall into a funk. If you catch yourself engaging in one of these unhealthy behaviors, redirect your attention to something happy, like a funny video, for an instant mood booster.
- Take a walk outside. Feel the sun and wind on your skin. Sometimes a change of scenery is all you need to improve your state of mind.
- Write down how you’re feeling. Be honest about how you’re feeling and what’s put you in this mood. You may start to see patterns emerge or, at the very least, learn a little bit more about you!
- Tap into the artistic parts of your brain to gain a better understanding of your life, get in touch with your emotions and express yourself.
The next time you find yourself in a funk, follow these tips and move on to a better day!